Just over 28 miles north of Perth, by train, is Pitlochry. The station was opened on 1 June 1863 by the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway, when the first section was opened between Dunkeld and Pitlochry.
Pitlochry remained the terminus until 9 September 1863, when the line to Aviemore was opened, connecting up with the section between Forres and Aviemore, which had opened on 3 August 1863.
Pitlochry has a loop for trains on the single line to pass.
The platforms are linked via a footbridge built by Hanna, Donald and Wilson of Paisley.
On one of the footbridges posts, on the southbound platform, is a post box dating from the time of George V.
Pride is taken of the gardens in Pitlochry, with a sculpture to catch the eye of passengers.
At the time of writing, Pitlochry has 13 trains from Inverness heading to London (one each to Euston & Kings Cross), Glasgow Queen Street (three trains) and Edinburgh (seven trains), with the penultimate train of the day terminating at Stirling. Northbound there is a similar number of trains with the first train from Perth, five each from Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh Waverley, and two from London (one each from Euston & Kings Cross).