The title is an oblique reference to the first visit to Scotland of Tornado – a newly-built LNER Peppercorn Class A1 steam locomotive, numbered 60163 adding to the sequence of the previous locomotives of the same design built by the London and North Eastern Railway (and latterly British Railways) between 1948 and 1949.
Due across the Royal Border Bridge at 12:14, a gallery of photographers started to assemble on the north side of the River Tweed at least 45 minutes beforehand to ensure that got their shot of Tornado.
At 12:10 the first signs of steam were seen from the Tweedmouth direction. As the train was stopping in the loop at Berwick station, it was cautioned on approach. Having received a proceed aspect the driver has opened the regulator for the last short stretch across the Royal Border Bridge.
Tornado traversed the Royal Border Bridge, slowing to enter the loop where it would stop to allow faster trains to pass, and to take on water.
Whilst the train stopped at Berwick upon Tweed, we made the trip north west to St Germains Level Crossing between Longniddry and Prestonpans to view Tornado passing on its approach to Edinburgh.
The passing of a NXEC train from Edinburgh to London meant that photographers on the north side of the line (on the A198) will have had their view of Tornado obstructed.