For Advent 2 2010 I was at St Mary’s Cathedral in Glasgow.
As with last year, a window sill in the north aisle was used for the crib scene. For Advent 2, a cow is in the stable at the manger. Shepherds were seen under the pulpit, whilst the Magi are at the east end. As with last year the surface of the “stable” has been replicated using crushed weetabix.
+Gregor was in attendance at the morning service for the licensing of Rev Cedric Blakey as Vice Provost. Although at the beginning, Kelvin got a little tongue-tied by welcoming +Gregor by the name of his predecessor.
Cedric had been part of the team at Derby Cathedral and a Minister in Secular Employment, working as an Emergency Planning Officer with Derbyshire County Council. Cedric was presented by Anne Jones, Lay Representative of the congregation and The Rev’d Canon Elaine Jones, Canon Pastor of Derby Cathedral.
Following his licensing, Cedric participated in the Eucharist in the role of Deacon, reading the gospel (Matthew 3: 1-12). +Gregor preached, although the service sheet intimated that the Provost was preaching. After the service, the new CD from the cathedral choir was on sale – also available on-line and the AGM of the congregation took place.
Last Sunday, the heating system was not working, so the Advent Carol Service was postponed for a week. So come the evening I was back at St Mary’s.
The service was constructed around the great Advent Antiphons. These were originally sung as antiphons to the Magnificat between 17 and 23 December. The first six antiphons were sung by a solo singer in one of the transepts, with the final antiphon sung by all six singers at the east end.
- Matin Responsory (Palestrina), with the solos sung by trebles at the east end, with the choir responding from the west end
- The Blessing of the Light
- Hymn – O come, O come, Emmanuel (French melody)
- O Sapientia, quae ex ore Altissimi prodiisti, attingens a fine usque ad finem, fortiter suaviterque disponens omnia: veni ad docendum nos viam prudentiae
- Reading – Ecclesiasticus 24:1-9
- Choir Carol – Angels’ Carol (John Rutter)
- O Adonai,et Dux domus Isreal, qui Moysi in igne flammae rubi apparuisti, et ei in Sina legem dedisti: veni ad redimendum nos in brachio extento.
- Reading – Exodus 3:1-6
- Hymn – Come, thou long expected Jesus (Cross of Jesus)
- O Radix Jesse, qui stas in signum populorum, super quem continebunt reges os suum, quem Gentes deprecabuntur: veni ad liberandum nos, iam noli tardare
- Reading – Isaiah 1:1-4a, 10
- Choir Carol – Jesus Christ the Apple Tree (Elizabeth Poston)
- O Clavis David, et sceptrum domus Irael; qui aperis, et nemo claudit; claudis, et nemo aperit: veni, et educ vinctum de domo carceris, sedentum in tenebris, et umbra mortis.
- Reading – Jeremiah 23:5-6
- Hymn – Hope is the candle, once lit by the prophets (West End Wullie by Frikki Walker, Director of Music)
- O Oriens, slendor lucis aeternae, et sol justitiae: veni, et illumina sedentes in tenebris, et umbra mortis
- Reading – John 1:19-28
- Choir Carol – People, look east, the time is near – arr Barry Rose
- O Rex Gentium, et desideratus earum, lapisque angularis, qui facis utraque unum: veni, et salva hominem, quem de limo formasti
- Reading – Revelation 15:2-4
- Hymn – Wake, awake! for night is flying (Watchet Auf)
- O Emmanuel, Rex et legifer noster, expectatio gentium, et Salvator earum: veni ad salvandum nos Domne Deus noster
- Reading – Matthew 1:18-23
- Choir Carol – Peace be to you and grace from him who freed us from our sins (Ruth & Paul Manz)
- Reading – Revelation 22:12-13, 16-17, 20
- Hymn – Lo! he comes with clouds descending (Helmsey)
- Blessing (from +Gregor)
- Organ Voluntary – Paean on Divinum Mysterium