The Lighthouse on the Butt of Lewis was built in 1862. It is the most northerly lighthouse in the Outer Hebrides. It has a claim to fame by having an entry in the Guiness Book of Records of being the windiest place in the UK. On the day we visited there were gentle breezes and sunshine.
When constructed it was manned, and remained so continuously until it was automated in 1998. It now receives annual maintenance visits. Those who have visited lighthouses will see this is of brick consruction, having never been painted white, which is the norm.