January 2015 has been one of trial for the garden. 2014 was the first full year following moving into a new build the previous year. There have been gale force winds, torrential rain and snow and it has taken its toll on the garden.
At the end of 2014 the bush chrysanthemums were in full leaf and had plenty of buds some of which had bloomed. The bedding plants had died, however due to the weather the raised beds had not been cleared.
The wind has taken its toil on various items in the garden.
I had added battens at the bottom to given is stability and added weight since I got in April 2014. The wind picked it up and blew it up the side of the house. The left side batten has partially broken off and the joint at the top right has split.
The greenhouse also took the compost bin with it, which I retrieved, reseated and collected up the (partially) composted items that had blown around.
A week later it had blown away again.
For the time being I have given up on it and cleared the compost into the brown (composting) wheelie bin.
After harvesting the potatoes, I left the raised bed empty hoping that some of the clay-laden soil would get broken down by the frost. Unfortunately it is collecting water.
There are signs of life. The rhubarb has started to sprout.
A week later it was showing through the snow.