Between 1899 and 1907, the Scottish Architect, Sir John Ninian Cooper was responsible for building St Margaret’s Episcopal Church in Braemar.
It remained in use in regular worship until 1997, after which time the Scottish Episcopal Church (Diocese of Aberdeen & Orkney) remained responsible for the building, but where in a dilemma as to what to do with the building. Then as recalled by the Bishop of Aberdeen & Orkney (Robert Gillies) when he preached a sermon at the last celebration of Choral Evensong with the building under the care of the Scottish Episcopal Church on 16 June 2013, the building was to be taken over by the Scottish Redundant Churches Trust (SCRT).
Moving forward 23 months, Choral Evensong was once again sung in the building on Saturday 9 May 2015. This time by RSCM Scottish Voices, under the direction of of their Director of Music, Frikki Walker.
The entire service was sung unaccompanied:
- Introit – Cantate Domino (Pitoni)
- Versicles and Responses (Richard Ayleward)
- Psalms 47 & 48
- Office Hymn – O for a Closer Walk with God: Tune – Caithness
- Magnificat (Palestrina)
- Nunc Dimittis (Victoria)
- Anthem – Praise our Lord (Byrd)
- Closing Hymn – The head that once was crowned with thorns: Tune – St Magnus
Under the care of the SCRT this building has a future as a part of the community in Braemar.