There has been a focus of religion on the site of Carlisle Cathedral for over 900 years. The Norman Priory was established by the Augustine Order in 1122. Within eleven years the building was raised to the status of a Cathedral in 1133. Friaries of two other orders – Dominican and Franciscan – were established close by.
During the dissolution of the monasteries, the nearby friaries and the Augustine Priory were dissolved. The Norman Nave was destroyed during the English Civil War.
The building that stands now is primarily the Choir and Chancel to the east of the crossing and screen. Entering the building from the door on the south side, the remaining bays of The Nave are to the left and are now the Chapel of the Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment, formerly called The Border Regiment.
To the left is the screen and entrance to the Choir and Chancel. Above the entrance to The Choir is the organ.
Passing through the screen, the first sight is the east window, in front of which is the High Altar, which has a canopy over it.
Turning round, the east side of the organ is visible, offset from the centre of the Choir. The organ was built in 1856 and has been rebuilt several times, most recently 1997.
The ceiling of the Chancel and Choir is decorated with stars on a blue background. The ornamentation includes angels at the top of each pillar.