After the morning and lunch at the Village of Queenston and Queenston Heights, in the afternoon we headed back towards Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Just south of Fort George is the McFarland House. Built by John McFarland in 1800, it is one of the oldest properties in Niagara-on-the-Lake. During the 1812/13 conflicts the building served as a hospital by the both sides – British and American. When Fort George was taken over by the Americans, John McFarland was imprisoned. When he returned in 1815, the house was in a state of dis-repair.
As part of the bi-centennial commemoration of the 1812 conflict, the property was refurbished. Round the back of property a conservatory was erected which serves as a tea room. As we had just missed a tour when we arrived, we elected to have afternoon tea.
The scones were freshly baked, and were served with jam from Greaves of Niagara-on-the-Lake.
The house is furnished as it would have been in the period prior to and after the military use.
As previously noted, from the entrance and car park, the 2012 conservatory is not visible.
On Niagara Parkway, at the junction with Line 1 at Walker’s Country Market, there is the Living Water Wayside Chapel. A fully fitted out chapel, with seating capacity of nine (four double benches and one singe bench).