At the end of a long weekend based in Sheffield, a visit to Sheffield Cathedral for the Sunday morning service.
The Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul was elevated to Cathedral status in 1914, having been the parish church for the City of Sheffield before then. There has been a place of christian worship on the site for over 1,000 years. Parts of the current building date from around 1430. Like many church building, it has developed over the years.
After World War 1, there were major plans to build a new spire and tower, chancel and sanctuary on the north of the side with a new nave on the south side. Architect Charles Nicholson was charged with developing these plans. Work on the north side was carried out, being opened by Princess Mary in 1939. During the war the west end suffered damage, and at the end of World War 2 the Nicholson plans were abandoned. A Lantern Tower was constructed at the west end in the 1960s. At the end of the 1980s, the glass in the lantern was replaced.
In 2015, redevelopment of the choir area has taken place, with choir stall now located in the nave. The use of a nave altar, rather than the High Altar for main services is under consideration.