In the mid 19th century, Glasgow was expanding and the grandly named Gorbals Gravitation Water Company was established to provide clean water into the city. The Brock Burn was identified as a means of feeding the reservoirs.
Ryat Linn and Waukglen was constructed first being completed around 1848. The largest resevoir is Balgray which was completed 1854, and extended in the 1860s
In the early 20th century, the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway was built to connect the port of Ardrossan with the Lanarkshire coalfields. A viaduct was constructed to the north of the dam which seperates Ryat Linn and Waukglen.
Boat trains to Ardrossan ran in 1920s, however the line was closed south of Lugton in the 1930s, and with electrification to Neilston in 1962, the line beyond there was closed, after a visit by the Royal Train to Uplawmoor in 1964.
The Dams to Darnley Country park, which Ryat Linn is part, is blessed with plenty of wildlife. During the walk, bird song was heard and swans, ducks and blue tits seen.
On the weekend of 16/17 April 2016, there were the Scottish Cup semi finals at Hampen Park, and as a result all the trains were running as 6-car sets to accomodate the additional passengers travelling to and from Mount Florida.