After a short break, the blog returns with a visit to the Parish Church of St Cuthbert in Edinburgh.
Located at the end of Lothian Road, next to St John’s Episcopal Church, this church is at the west end of Princes Street gardens under Edinburgh Castle.
There have been several buildings on the site. The early ones were on the shores of the Nor’Loch (which was drained and filled in during the 19th century when the railway was constructed). The current building was designed by Hippolyte Blanc and opened in 1894.
One of the features of the building is the pulpit. Under the pulpit is the foundation stone and a time capsule with 1890’s items.
At the East End is the Apse with a painted ceiling by Robert Hope RSA. The centre panel features Christ, being worshiped by angels on either side.
The font is provided with a bronze statue on its cover. This is a copy of Michaelangelo’s statue in the Church of Our Lady in Bruges.
The organ was built in 1899 by Robert Hope-Jones of Birkenhead, and having been rebuilt several times, the current setup dates from 1997/8 when it was rebuilt by Walker & Sons. The four manual console is located in the south gallery of the chancel opposite the chancel organ case in the north chancel. The majority of the pipes are located in the North Gallery.